Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Old Business

Remeber when I wrote to Congressman David E. Price, Democrat about H.R. 45 here? I posted that I would update you if I got a response, though I didn't really expect one. Well, I got a response. Price's staff must be paying more attention to constituents these days. I have copied it from the e-mail below:


March 3, 2009



xx. xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxx xxxxxxx xx

xxxxxxx, xx xxxxx


Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx:



Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 45, the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. It is good to hear from you.



I have been a consistent supporter of the ability of law-abiding citizens to own and use guns for self-protection, hunting, and sporting purposes, while supporting reasonable measures to keep guns away from individuals who would use them to threaten or harm other people.



As you may know, H.R. 45 would amend the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to create a new licensing system for purchasers of certain firearms. The bill would also create a system to track the sales records of these firearms. H.R. 45 defines the firearms subject to this licensing and tracking system as handguns and any semiautomatic firearms that can accept a detachable ammunition device, excluding antiques. Additionally, the measure directs the Attorney General to collect firearm injury information and conduct research of firearm-related deaths and injuries.



The bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee for consideration. Should the House consider the bill, I will evaluate it carefully, keeping your concerns in mind.



Again, thank you for contacting me, and please continue to keep in touch on issues of concern.





Sincerely,


DAVID PRICE

Member of Congress


Doesn't say much, but at least it is a response. Mr. Price earned an F from the GAO, which gives me little hope that he will resist the urge to further infringe on our rights, but he is now on notice of where one of his constituents stands

No comments:

Post a Comment