Saturday, October 3, 2009

Green is Red

There is a great article up from one of Fran's guest posters today at Eternity Road entitled Green is Red. This is a must read.

Like the guest poster (sorry, I do not know Greek, or how to replicate or translate this name.) I have made this point a number of times with less eloquence, and hence, less effectiveness. So I appreciate when someone comes along who says it so much better than I ever could. This is the reason I retired early from the Naval Facilities Engineering Command. I had gotten into the Environmental Department, and had worked my way up to be Director of Environmental Compliance, from which pinnacle I could see the truth of what this guy is saying. It is sad, truly sad.

Update: I got to thinking more upon this subject, and realized that my endorsement of this essay could make it seem like I reject any or all environmental responsibility on my part. So let's be clear here. God, when he created man, gave man the duty to be a good steward of his creation. Indeed, no other creature has the ability to do it. We have the unique ability to see God's creation for what it is, appreciate it, and yet not confuse it for the Creator, but to see it as part of his love for us. Too many people today live divorced from nature, and therefore have become prey to people pushing an agenda that is extreme, and which in reality is another way to push communism. That is what the above is about. Now, there is also nothing wrong with communism in the abstract. Its central tenets are truly beautiful, if everybody followed them. But therein lies the problem. Everybody doesn't, and the only way to make everybody follow them is to enforce it on everybody with a totalitarian zeal. But totalitarianism is antithetical to the Christian message of freedom. Christ taught a message of morality, but not the ten commandments sort of morality, but a radical morality in which we need to look beyond the letter of the law to the spirit behind it. It is not enough to not murder, for instance, because if you even think of murdering someone, you have already committed the crime. Of course you must keep the Sabbath, but remember that the Sabbath was created for man, not the other way around. So Christ wants us to live morally, but each moral thing we do must be of our own free will. So, with that brief understanding, I do endorse this post from Eternity Road.

2 comments:

  1. Poly, my Co-Conspirator's moniker is "Leonidas" in Greek letters. And yes, it's a very pungent article, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Francis, I will remember that. As I said, I don't speak Greek, and won't pretend to be able to translate. But I do know the English language, and pungent is a good word for that article.

    Again, thanks,

    PolyKahr

    ReplyDelete