Sunday, December 11, 2016

Bob Dylan, Nobel Laureate?

I find I must agree with George Will on this:  While Bob Dylan surely is a fine song writer, a good performer, and a so-so singer, he does not deserve the Nobel Prize for Literature.  George Will's article is at the National Review, entitled Nobel Laureate for 2015 Revisited.

 As I have noted on several occasions, the arts in particular, have taken a stunning beating by the Left, to the point that like so much about society, what remains of the formerly great art of Literature is species of unseriousness that boggles the mind.  What is great art?  Is Piss Christ really art, or just rude self expression? Shouldn't anything we call "art" be more?

I have to confess that I am a Bob Dylan fan.  I am also a Stevie Nicks fan.  But while I like Stevie Nicks' music, I would not consider her for a Nobel Prize.  The choice of Bob Dylan for a (formerly prestigious) Nobel Prize says more about the prize itself, than it does about Bob Dylan.  Go read George Will's article and see if you don't agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment