Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Reliability and Accuracy of the 1911 Pistol

I like 1911 style pistols. While it has nothing to do with the purpose of a gun, a well built 1911 is a work or art.  But contrast, many polymer framed pistols are somewhat clunky looking.  I don't know why a pistol can not look as good as it works, but there it is.  I have fired various polymer framed wonder nines.  I find the polymer framed pistols to be reliable, accurate tools for the job.  But they also are a bit soulless, ill fitting, and not something I would consider passing on to my children or grand children.  By ill fitting, I mean that they do not point naturally as a 1911 pistol does.  And despite the negative press, I have had very few problems with my .45 Auto 1911 pistol.  I use good magazines, and I feed only the best ammunition.  And if you go on boards dealing with polymer famed pistols, you will find just as many problems with these weapons as with 1911s on their forums.

Bob Campbell has written an excellent article extolling the virtues of the 1911 pistol over at Cheaper Than Dirt. Campbell points out that the when the weapon is fed in spec ammunition from magazines as designed by John Moses Browning, the weapon is reliable, and accurate.  You may be a Glock fan, and that is fine, but don't count the 1911 out just yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment