Sunday, November 30, 2008

Declaration of Non-compliance

It has been a slow news week. Also, we have had friends over for much of the week, and preparing for Thanksgiving has taken up a huge share of my time as well.

This posting over at Mindful Musings caught my attention. Go read it, then come back.

Read it? Great!

I continually return to that fine little book by Jeff Snyder, A Nation of Cowards, which extends Thoreau's Civil Disobedience to the ethics of gun control, and by extension, the the morality of being armed. The 2nd Amendment is not intended merely for the police and military. It is intended for all Americans.

You would think that the press would vigilantly uphold at least the part of the 1st Amendment dealing with a free press. But no, they seem to want to limit competition from any upstarts who might challenge them. But the 1st Amendment is not the private plaything of the media, but for every United States Citizen. When the Attorney General Select suggests that the things we say may need an editor, I find that to be an un-American attitude, and it greatly disturbs me.

If you think your blood pressure could use a little boost, I also recommend a book entitled Lost Rights by James Bovard. It details, with actual case histories, all the ways. large and small, that our rights have been eroded. At my age, I can still recall what freedom tasted like, and it doesn't taste anything like the thin gruel being served up today.

I can not see another way, at this time, to get the point across that we will not be subjected. If just 10% of us, 30 million, were to decide to simply not comply, we could make a huge difference. Think about it.

1 comment: