Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Adventures in Reloading the .38 Super Auto

I am discovering that my particular .38 Super Auto pistol is a bit fussy about the ammunition I feed it.  I had heard that 1911 style pistols could be fussy, but my previous experience, which is limited to one pistol, was that it ate everything I fed it.  I made up 100 rounds of .38 Super Auto loaded with Berry's 124 grain Target Hollow Points (THP).  My weapon did not seem to like these bullets, and choked.

Interestingly, while I was researching various bullet and powder combinations, I came across the Hodgdon Reloading Data for .38 Super 124 grain bullets, that indicated that one could achieve a velocity of 1315 feet per second while keeping pressures lower than other powders with a 13.0 grain load of powder. At 12.5 to 13.0 grains it is impossible to double charge and at the same time, because it fills the case, it is pretty obvious if you have a squib load. It all seemed too good to be true, so I sent a note to Hodgdon Powder Company and got the word that the data was correct.

Today I was pulling the THP bullets out of the casing, and reloading with Berry's 124 grain Round Nose (RN), which bullets I am sure will feed just fine.  I also loaded with 12.5 grains Lil'Gun.  I will see how it feeds at the range.

The relative burn rates of various powders is shown in at the link. It indicates that Lil'Gun has a slower burn rate than the usual powders used for pistol such as Winchester W231, Hodgdon Tite Group, or CFE Pistol.  Lil'Gun was designed to be used in .410 shot guns, and seems not to be used for any other weapon that the .410 bore shotgun and the .38 Super Auto and then only for the  .38 Super 124 grain bullet.  As I said, I'll see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment