Monday, March 25, 2024

AI...Leave the Thinking to Us

If you are someone of a certain age, you will remember the old Grayhound Bus commercials. If you do, you will also remember the motto: Go Grayhound and leave the driving to us.

I could not help but remember that old commercial as I read Cam Edwards over at Bearing Arms today. He has a post reporting that John Lott did some experiments with AI and discovered...surprise...AI Chatbots Have a Bias Towards Gun Control. I know, I was blown over. And why wouldn't they? After all, they are just sophisticated programs so it stands to reason that they would reflect their programmers biases. And let's face it, most of the people doing programming are Leftists or worse anarchists. You can find John Lott's full article at Real Clear Politics here.

Now, I am not what you would call the sharpest pencil in the box, nor am I the most talented writer.  But I would not trust anything I wrote to any AI. And if I found that a commentator I read was using AI to write his articles, I would quit reading that person's views. I am not a luddite, but I also want to always be in control of technology, not be controlled by it. As Edwards says:

I don't think we have any idea of what we're doing with AI, and I worry that we're all basically monkeys with machine guns when it comes to the tech. The anti-gun bias that's prevalent throughout these AI platforms is disturbing enough, but the real danger comes when humans start allowing AI to do our thinking for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment