Saturday, February 14, 2009

5 Dangerous Things

I got this from the Newbie Shooter, down in Charlotte. It's "5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Kids Do". Of course, one of the unspoken points is you should be around to supervise at all times while they are playing at these things. I especially liked the pocket knife. When I was 7 years old, my Dad gave me a pocket knife for my birthday. I have carried it, or subsequent versions, literally everywhere I go, every day since. I learned to keep it sharp, how to carve wood, and make useful stuff with it. I could not describe how useful it has been, or how lost I would be without it. Sadly, today men no longer carry pocket knives, having not gotten in the habit due to school prohibitions. The slow demise of the pocket knife, the sidearm, and other things represent to me the massive feminization (read emasculation) of our society.

And with the passage of the Porkulus, we can now see that everything must be safe, so that we all live to the age when our masters decide they don't want to take care of us any more.

Update: The grand daughter and I went out and had a good time burning some brush clippings Saturday. Winds were light, and I got to show her the necessity of standing by and controlling the fire until it is completely burned out. Grandma was happy to get rid of that pile of brush clippings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment