Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A new way to ban guns--brand everyone as 'terrorists'

With H.R. 2159, Congressman Peter King (R-NY) once again tries to give the
Attorney General the power to unilaterally deny gun rights based on the mere
suspicion of "terrorism."


Coming on the heels of the previous story about Ashton Lundeby, this news is chilling. The so-called "Terrorist Watch List" to which the article refers is a list held very close to the vest by Homeland Security. People such as Senator Ted Kennedy have been refused flights because of the list. Nobody seems to know how a name gets on the list, or how to get your name cleared from it. There is no due process for getting on the list.

Now, travel by airplane is not a civil or natural right. While I have grave reservations about denying someone the ability to travel by airplane, I have not said much about this before. I, myself, fly as little as I can because I do not want to be herded like cattle to a station where everything I have is searched (without a warrant) and if something doesn't meet the current criteria, may be confiscated by government agents. It's undignified. However, we are not talking now about a matter of convenience, but a Constitutionally protected natural right. Representative Peter Kings bill should not be allowed to pass.


read more digg story

No comments:

Post a Comment