Monday, July 20, 2009

Why You Are Not Paranoid to Carry a Gun

This is somewhat old news, but I thought it fit in with yesterday's posting. This comes from Daniel White, the Cleveland Gun Rights Examiner, dated July 7, 2009 entitled Shotgun Robber is an equal opportunity bandit. Here's the money quote:


One of the arguments used by the gun control crowd is that people who choose to be armed for self-defense are paranoid. Do you really need a gun for protection when going out for coffee? Or pizza? Or a burger? Or to pick up your prescription? Apparently so, according to the above list.

The truth of the matter is that anyone at any time and in any place could find themselves confronted by an armed criminal bent on violence. That person wasn't deterred by laws prohibiting armed robbery, assault, menacing, or restrictions on ownership (I'll bet when this guy is caught he turns out to be a repeat offender prohibited from owning firearms). He wasn't deterred from robbing a restaurant that has a class D liquor license and therefore prohibits the public from carrying a firearm inside, and if anyone honestly believes that a "no guns allowed" sign would have made him go elsewhere I have a couple of bridges still in inventory at low, low prices.
The other day my neighbor and I were talking out by the road, where I had come to pick up my trash barrel, and he had coincidentally done the same thing. After the pleasantries were accomplished, and we had caught up, he mentioned he was taking the course for his concealed carry permit. But, he wouldn't carry on his person often, mostly just in his truck because he didn't think he went into risky areas. I assured him I thought it was a good idea, but that my philosophy was that predators could strike anywhere, any time, and you just never know. Surely the gun owner in Richmond didn't think he needed a gun just to go into the store where he confronted the shooter that day. Therefore I carried my weapon on my person wherever it was legal to do so.

Then I pray I never have to use it, but I remain prepared in case I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment