Saturday, September 11, 2021

Remembrance of 9/11/2001

 Today is the 11th of September, 2021.  For those of us who were alive at the time, I don't think any of us will forget where we were when it happened.  For me, I was at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC.  I was watching the breaking news broadcast of the burning first tower.  When the second plane hit, I turned to the person beside me and said "We are at war!"  Later, a plane hit the Pentagon.  I could see the smoke rising from the Pentagon.  I could have been there giving a briefing, but fortunately wasn't.  Some of our people were.

Several months later, I told my wife that we should get permits to carry concealed.  She agreed. and so I started the process of getting each of us our permits.

Over at Bearing Arms Tom Knighton tells his own story of 9/11 in How 9/11 Helped Make Me A Gun Owner. You should read Knightons post. It is both poignant and deeply personal. The bottom line, however is:

For me, though, the first was 20 years ago today. That was the day I decided I would get a gun.
Not a day has passed where I felt bad about that decision.

A gun is a tool, like a fire extinguisher. You hope never to need it, but if you do, nothing else will do. That realization is what came over Mr. Knighton that day. The idea that if he needed a gun to defend himself, his wife and children, what would he do? I had a gun, but what hit me in that moment was that too often I could not access it if I needed it. So I deceded to carry it wherever legal.

No comments:

Post a Comment