Sunday, February 17, 2019

If you are pro choice, rethink your position now, while it is not too late

Hans Fiene is a Lutheran pastor and a great story teller as well.  At The Federalist he tells us Why Infanticide Isn't A Bridge Too Far For Many Abortion Supporters. I have written about this a number of times. Abortion and infanticide are ancient pagan sins that we thought the Christian world had eliminated, only to have it come roaring back in the modern age. Fiene tells us a story, a parable about why this might be: The Parable of the Burning Building.

In the parable, a party goer is on the first floor attending a party when Captain Fire Crier barges into the room and tells them to jump out the window before the fire spreads. Being afraid to jump while it is only a 5 foot drop, the party goer goes up a floor. But Captain Fire Crier again interupts the party to announce the fire is now on their floor and they should jump.  But now the drop is 15 feet and the party goer is even more afraid.  So he escapes to the third floor, where you can imagine what happens next.  Eventually, the party goer finds himself 100 floors up, and all hope of jumping has been lost.  He is clearly doomed.

After relating how this parable fits to the pro choice movement, Fiene introduces Jesus's parable of the Prodigal Son.  It turns out that it is never to late to repent, while you yet are alive.  To repent means to rethink, and to appeal to God for Divine Mercy and Grace.  If you are pro choice, now is the time to rethink your position and pray to God for his Mercy.  God doesn't want you to be burned in the fire that sin lit.  Pray with me now Psalm 51:

Have mercy upon me, O God,
 According to Your lovingkindness;
 According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
 Blot out my transgressions.

 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
 And cleanse me from my sin.
 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,
 And my sin is always before me.

4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,
 And done this evil in Your sight—
That You may be found just [a]when You speak,
 And blameless when You judge.

5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
 6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
 And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
 9 Hide Your face from my sins,
 And blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
 And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
 And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
 And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.

And rethink you position on abortion and infanticide.  The life you save may be your own.

2 comments:

  1. That is so good, Wade.

    My Dad passed away years ago. I'm still going through a few boxes of things now and then of his. I found a pocket sized Bible and prayer book he had with him in WW2 (Navy). One of the little prayers in it reads something like: " Lord, while I am alive let there
    always be a place in your Heart for me and after I die, may I reside there with You for eternity." I say that, among others, every night.

    May you and yours have a Blessed Sunday and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    I am sorry for your loss. My Dad also passed away several years ago. I still think " I should call him" but then I remember he is not there. Yes, find a prayer, as you have. I typically pray Psalm 51 because I know each day, no matter how well I have done, that I haven't lived up to what God expects.

    You also have a blessed day,
    Wade

    ReplyDelete