Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Not One Inch

Before retiring and coming to North Carolina, I resided in Virginia, so I pay attention to what happens there.  Then too, Virginia being right next door, so to speak, I also worry that troubles coming to Virginia won't stop there.  So, I was gladdened to see that so many Virginia counties we passing Second Amendment Sanctuary resolutions and ordinances.  More on that in a minute.

Philip Van Cleave, President of the Virginia Citizens' Defense League (VCDL) has an article at  Ammoland Entitled VCDL's Position On Gun Control & "Compromise" - Screw "Grandfathering". Van Cleave presents the correct attitude for gun owners:
Who are WE to negotiate away the right of future generations to own AR-15s, or their equivalent, and magazines of whatever capacity they want?
Who are WE to give away the right of future generations to protect themselves from criminals or from a government that's gone tyrannical, just so we can selfishly have our guns and magazines now?
And who is stupid enough to think that the gun controllers won't be back, over and over again, to get those guns and magazines out of our hands anyway in the near future?
I don't know about you, but I don't trust a government that doesn't trust me to have guns.
I have made a point many times in the past as well that when the government doesn't trust me with a gun, I sure don't trust them either. We should never "compromise" our rights, because they are not just our rights. They belong to our children and grandchildren, and their descendants as well. They belong to each of us because of our humanity. Therefore it is not our right to compromise away the rights of others. It is also not legitimate for the government to take those rights. That is why the Bill of Rights was put in the Constitution, and it appears that the Founders were extremely prescient. Our right to keep and bear arms would have disappeared years ago had they not made the Bill of Rights the first ten amendments to the Constitution.

On the notion of "sanctuary counties and cites," I have noted that when the Left was passing sanctuaries for illegal immigrants, it was, and is illegal and wrong.  When law enforcement refuses to cooperate with ICE, it is also wrong.  So, when conservatives started passing Second Amendment sanctuaries, I recognize that this is also wrong, but at the same time I can not help but feel that turnabout may well be fair play.  Goose...Gander?  But there is this difference also:  gun control is not legal, and therefore sanctuary status may be the only way to defend the citizenry.

Please go read Philip Van Cleave's article and let me know what you think.  And remember, not one inch.

No comments:

Post a Comment