Monday, April 6, 2009

The Washington Thugs

I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of George Will. George Will is the affirmative action conservative of the Leftist MSM. Yet, he has written another good article today. You will find it posted at Townhall.com under Car Designer in Chief.

I have wondered for some time, as I drove my Chevy Trailblazer about, what the Left keeps talking about when they say that Americans just don't want to buy the cars the American car companies want to make. The Trailblazer is a very popular vehicle. Each day I see numerous copies on the road, in parking lots, and in driveways. It has four wheel drive when you need it, is built on a truck frame but is small and gets into parking spaces easily. It handles well, though is obviously not a sports car. It is just enough, without being too much. It gets good mileage too. Not as good a Honda Insight, but then it is a more capable vehicle too. I also considered the Chevy Silverado pick up truck. But I decided that a pick up would be too much for my needs. But I would note that these are very popular as well.

But the real problem with the government trying to muscle in and design cars that some Leftists want us to want is that it is blatantly Unconstitutional. It is, in fact, the very definition of Fascist. Hitler and Mussolini acted this way. Now, the auto companies brought some of this on themselves, but a number of banks were forced to take the bailouts or else there would be consequences. This was also how the Fascists operated. The voices saying that the government is acting like the mafia here have been muted, but growing. When even George Will, the liberals tame conservative, starts talking this way, things may be coming to a head.

Perhaps the Washington Nationals should change their name to the Washington Thugs. That would make an excellent George Will column.